Re: eCos contributions and development projects

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 10:38:32PM +0200, Øyvind Harboe wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 10:16 PM, Sergei
> Gavrikov<sergei.gavrikov@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Is it just me or does this page "smell" stale?
> >
> > Stale?
>
> I'm thinking that it would make sense to have older & new stuff on a
> separate pages not to dilute the new stuff.

May be it has a sense, though eCos freshmeat is placed on the top and
the very interesting information about other contributions is placed
the very deeply the below :-)

> > It seems for me it is a great run. It's pity, but, I found no 2009's on
> > the eCosForge.
>
> See the svn repository for 2009 stuff. The web site was never used really.

<OT>

Especially what the eCos community needs is good eCos wiki.  It's pity
that community has higly qualificated and talented developers (which
usual are the very busy to be the "teachers"), but has not the freelance
tech-writes, so, eCos wiki is just a dream for the most newcomers. The
main goal of the eCos wiki would be Don't give them (newcomers) a fish,
teach them how to fish. Unfortunately, the eCos newcomers get the fish
on the list. Why this off-topic? The front page of the eCosForge has
pmwiki engine, but, it's pity what it is almost empty. When you did
stand up eCosForge, I thought: Great! The wiki is placed on the front
page!  But... The eCos's "gold" hides itself inside the eCos CVS, and
eCosForge's "gold" hides itself in another VCS :-(

</OT>

So, I very liked the John's initiative of the eCos contributions
concept. It points the surfers on the latest eCos's gold.

> eCosForge provides little but an svn repository. I was thinking that
> perhaps switching to git thinking on eCos + using a page with listed
> projects would be neat. That would effectively render eCosForge
> obsolete.
>
> eCos even has a fundamental concept about separate repositories, so
> git like thinking would be a really neat match.
>
> (Actual tool used, svn, git, mercurial, cvs, dracs, etc. doesn't
> matter as much as pushing the concept of independent repositories.)

As discussed in a past here, any distributed VCS has a lot advantages,
especially if an offered service gives the followers wiki (=web). I
liked bitbucket service. They offer HG with a support HG's patch queues.
BB's wiki is based on the Creole 1.0 mark-down specification and it's
Pygments library with the syntax lexers is just really cool thing, there
is an example how the CDL snippets can look
http://bitbucket.org/tickling/olpce2294b/wiki/Home

Regards

Sergei