Re: Synthetic target on linux x86_64 host

Andrew Lunn wrote:
On Sun, May 03, 2009 at 12:44:13AM +0300, Tarmo Kuuse wrote:
Andrew Lunn wrote:
Can synthetic target even be built with native x86_64 tools?
I don't think so. Synth calls kernel system calls directly, using
assembly language. I expect this part needs re-writing into 64 bit
code.
That is a bit surprising - I assumed the synthetic target was just another application from the compiler's side.

From the compiler, yes, its just an application. However because eCos has a libc, you cannot use the native libc as the interface to the native kernel. You have to call the kernel directly. Hence the system call issues.

I don't know anything about the x86 or (shudder) x86-64 bowels and would prefer to live a long and sane life by keeping it that way :)

Then take a look at x86 emulators which you can run on 32 bit more on top of a 64 bit system. eg http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

I now have a 32-bit Debian system running inside VirtualBox on my 64-bit Debian system. Synthetic target works as expected, host tools for Ethernet can be built, etc.

I suspected it would end up like this when starting...

--
Kind regards,
Tarmo Kuuse