Re: Re: Migrating away from CVS

Daniel Helgason wrote:
On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 13:49 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
Nobody I know cares about the configtool. Does anybody who's
working on a real eCos project (e.g. not something for school
or evaluation purposes) use the graphical tool?

We do. In fact, we've only used the command-line tool for scripted
building, not configuration.

I do it in the exact same way.

We put a lot of CPU and SOC configuration items in CDL packages. We find
some of the complex items have dependencies and interactions that are
difficult to discover and manage unless the data is presented in a
visual, hierarchical manner the way the configtool does.

Using the configtool for "exploration" is quite nice, I use it all the time. It might be that when I will have some years of experience using eCos, I will have most of that memorized and will not use it as much as I do now.

PS. Kudos to John Dallaway and his work on the configtool experimental
build for GTK+ 2.x on Linux. It looks great!

About multiple repositories. The way I currently do it, is using a little wrapper shell script, which "merges" the different repositories into one (using fusionfs) and then acts on this merged repository. This is quite a hack, but it works, and let's me use the configtool with multiple repos. Clean support in the configtool would still be great I guess, but I haven't had a look at how much work it is.

Simon