Re: eCos and OE

Hi

As a former user of OpenEmbedded I can probably shed some light on what's the differences. OpenEmbedded is an environment to compile packages for Embedded Linux systems. It basically is a tool called "bitbake" (written in Python) which is used to parse build classes and scripts to compile packages. As compiling packages for a different target than your host system (cross-compiling) can get rather tricky with some more elaborate packages, this is a huge timesaver. OpenEmbedded will also take care of all the package dependencies. OpenEmbedded comes with thousands of packages (toolchains, kernels, libraries, system tools, services etc.) which can be used to build a fully working Embedded Linux system. One example is the OpenMoko project (open source mobile phone) which is currently based on OpenEmbedded.

ECOS on the contrary, is a very compact real-time operating system. It can be used on smaller controllers with less flash and ram. ECOS includes a configuration system (CDL) which can be used to configure your kernel and associate packages/components (network stack, io drivers, etc.) and helps you with the building process. You can configure ECOS in much greater detail (speak memory consumption here) than you can configure a Linux system.

Basically you are comparing Linux to ECOS here, and there are of course huge differences between the two. I have used Embedded Linux for over 2 years on Embedded Systems, and I'm now getting into ECOS as we have new low-power hardware designs, which do not come with the resources to run a full Linux system. As I believe in Open Source projects, I have selected ECOS for our future projects.

Simon

badeguruji wrote:
not intending to start any flamewars, but just asking some pros and cons of these two systems.
(i could not find any comparison on internet)
~~aapka kalyan ho~~