Re: Migrating away from CVS

On 2008-10-29, simon.kallweit@intefo.ch <simon.kallweit@intefo.ch> wrote:

> I think we should get this right at the root, not curing the
> symptoms :)

At many places I've been, that's simply not possible. :/

>> It's a bit OT, but there's one thing I've been wondering about
>> should eCos switch over to SVN.  Since we use SVN locally for
>> our eCos source tree, is there any way to simultaneusly use
>> SVN with the "main" repository and with a local repository?
>
> As long as the don't overlap there is no problem, but that's
> probably exactly what you want to do.

I think so.  What I want to do is to check out a CVS working
copy from sourceware.org and import that into my local SVN
server (with CVS info).  Now when I check out a working copy
from SVN, it's also a CVS working copy.  I can make changes and
diff against both my local SVN repository and against the CVS
repository.  I can update from the CVS repository and commit the
the canges to SVN.  I can keep track of both the history of
local revisions and the difference to the CVS repository.

> I recently discovered ecos's feature of multiple repositories,
> and I think it's a superb solution to this exact problem. You
> just put your "private" ecos repository in front of the
> official one, to do little changes, add new features etc.

That's another way to deal with it (I'm trying to get my group
to switch to dual repostories, since we have many local pacages
that aren't in the eCos CVS repository). Every time you need to
modify a file in the eCos source tree, you have to copy the
package containing the file from the "standard" eCos repository
to the "local" one.  After local changes have been merged back
into the eCos CVS repository, then you remove the package from
the local repository.

As long as you're religious about only modifying packages after
they've been moved to the local repository, it works pretty
well.

> The only real problem right now is the missing support of the
> graphical configtool.

Nobody I know cares about the configtool.  Does anybody who's
working on a real eCos project (e.g. not something for school
or evaluation purposes) use the graphical tool?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I'm sitting on my
                                  at               SPEED QUEEN ... To me,