Generate package documentation a la Doxygen or javadocs?

I am writing a few eCos packages right now. The documentation for it lives in a doc/ subdir, in DocBook .sgml format. Now, I would really love to maintain the documentation in the header files, a la doxygen (http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/) or javadocs. One is 'forced' to completely document the API, and if the API changes the documentation ought to change 'automatically' with it.

Now, I read that the BoostBook project already made a a XSLT to accomplish this tric for their project. However, it seems to be integrated into the Boost environment. I am tempted to explore their distribution and see if it is easy to run the documentation generator stand-alone.

Has maybe anyone already done this, or otherwise got any experience with doing the documentation in doxygen/javadoc style?

As far as licensing is concerned (an eternal issue :-( ), my guess is that in the most restrictive case, I can live with privately generating the DocBook docs from the doxygen-annotated header files, and just publish the generated DocBook docs.

Rutger Hofman
VU Amsterdam