Re: DHCP failing due to missing VLAN tagging support

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 08:59:20AM +0100, ?yvind Harboe wrote:
> > I suggest you go back to your customer and ask for more details. Your
> > customer seems confused, which is not uncommon.
>
> Nope. The customer knew precisely what he was talking about, I was
> confused. :-)

Yes, well, that does sometime happen to me as well :-)

> Could VLAN tagging be added to eCos in software or will the drivers need
> to be updated?

In Linux this is achieved by inserting a layer between the Ethernet
driver and the IP stack. For each VLAN you create an additional
interface and bind it to the IP stack above. The layer then
adds/removes the VLAN tags and passes them down to the ethernet
driver.

You could use a similar architecture in eCos. Better still would be to
look at how a modern FreeBSD stack does it and try to move the code
across. You need "userspace" tools to create the interfaces etc. This
would be some ioctl calls, which your application then needs to call.

      Andrew