Re: Re: Any developments in thread-aware JTAG debugging?

Grant Edwards wrote:
On 2008-10-08, Jonathan Larmour <jifl@eCosCentric.com> wrote:

Grant Edwards wrote:

The last time I checked, thread-aware debugging was only
available via the gdb-stubs in RedBoot and not via any of the
JTAG interfaces.

Is that still the case?

[I'm primarily interested in ARM and NIOS2 targets.]

The Lauterbach debugger has something which passes for it, although I'm a bit sceptical of whether it's adaptable to some particular kernel configurations. Possibly unwarranted.

eCos still has extensions to allow use of the ARM Multi-ICE
(if you can still find one!). http://ecos.sourceware.org/multi-ice.html

Is that the one with the combination serial/parallel interface?
If so, I actually do know where I can find one.  It even worked
the last time I tried it (which, admittedly, was probably 8-9
years ago).

It's so long ago I've now forgotten! I definitely remember using it with a parallel interface, but that doesn't mean it may not have been serial too.

Maybe an eCos-aware daemon that sits betwen openocd (or any
other gdb server) and gdb?

I've advocated doing something like that in the past.

It might be possible to do this in a GDB macro, but I haven't
tried - not sure GDB's macro language is up to it.

Too bad gdb isn't scriptable in Python or Lua or Guile.

They're working on incorporating Python right now. But it's early days. http://sourceware.org/gdb/wiki/PythonGdb

 OTOH,
I was reading a description of debugging using gdb under
uClinux, and apparently all you had to do was tell gdb the base
address of the task table.  Apparently the Linux kernel's task
table format is known a-priori by gdb.  I thought there might
something similar for eCos.

Not feasibly - the eCos internal thread structures are configuration-dependent and thus mutable. On the other hand, it's possible to set up a different sort of data structure which would never change.