Re: no ecm-file for AT91SAM7X-EK

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 11:34:51AM +0200, Robert Brusa wrote:
> Hi
> I want to build Redboot for the AT91SAM7X-EK and found that the
> package/hal/arm/at91/at91sam7x-folder exists, but its contents is
> incomplete (I am talking about the anonymous CVS version which I got a
> few days ago). There is no Redboot_RAM.ecm nor a Redboot_ROM.ecm file -
> as is the case e. g. for the AT91SAM7S. May I use the one of the 7S
> family and where do I find a documentation about the meaning of the
> contents of such an *.ecm-file?

It never made much sense to me to have redboot on this target. The guy
who ported eCos to SAM7S did however, which is why they exist. For me,
the SAM7{SX} do not have enough RAM and FLASH to use redboot. You don't
have enough RAM to be able to upgrade the FLASH with anything more
than around 40Kbytes of image. It make little sense to use gdb with
redboot since your code is likely to be running from FLASH, not RAM,
so you need hardware breakpoints, not software breakpoints. So you
will be using a JTAG debugger, not a serial port debugger. If you have
a JTAG debugger, you have the ability to download into FLASH as big an
application as you want etc.....

The SAM7S files will give you a good idea what you need in SAM7X
files. So feel free to create them and contribute them. But first
think, does it make sense for what you want to do?

       Andrew