Does 256kByte flash and 64kByte RAM + TCP/IP make sense for eCos?

It seems like the amount of flash + ram available inside a microcontroller
has been stuck at or below  256kBytes and 64kByte RAM the last 5 years.

I don't know why, but I guess the silicon required for that amount of
RAM/flash is comparable to a CPU core + peripherals. If the amount of
RAM/flash was any larger, the part would be more of a flash / ram than
it would be a CPU. Perhaps the flash/ram produces should chuck in a CPU
core on their biggest flash parts, it would only take up a *TINY* corner.
Perhaps they already do, but we can't get at it. :-)

Certainly I haven't seen anything readily available in the megabytes range
for internal ram+flash. AT91FR40162 is special in that it has 2mBytes
flash + 256kBytes RAM.

These devices can sport *LOTS* of peripherals(USB, ethernet,
etc.), but those peripherals need drivers.

However, eCos is not in the game if flash/ram is stuck at 256kBytes/64kBytes
respectively.

Devices with external RAM/flash, especially DRAM quickly start to
sport uCLinux and Linux ports which gives eCos a run for it's money.

Q: Is 256kBytes flash + 64kByte RAM + ethernet (TCP/IP stack)
out of reach for eCos?

--
Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com/zy1000.html