Re: generating host tools fails

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 10:05:35AM +0200, Robert Brusa wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 18:39:24 +0200, Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com> wrote:
> >Doesn't look like it.  I just built the pdfa4 on Fedora 8, installing
> >only jadetex (no docbook).
> >
> >Must be something else in the configuration/setup.
> >
> I installed docbook and this helps  :) . Somewhat at least. The job still
> does not go through, but this times it is something about LaTex which is
> not as it should be  :( I know that LaTex exists - and that is about all I
> know about this program. Is there an expert out there? I have put two
> files - the terminal output and the log-output of the make-pdfa4 on
> http://www.brusag.ch/xyz .

Looking at the logs, we can see that TeX's batteries were discharged :)

<snipped>
! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [main memory size=1000000].
..

Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
 117 strings out of 83585
 2056 string characters out of 1063418
 1000001 words of memory out of 1000000
 14031 multiletter control sequences out of 10000+50000
 11421 words of font info for 38 fonts, out of 500000 for 2000
 580 hyphenation exceptions out of 8191
..
</snipped>

Follow the guide: doc/sgml/README-PDF, i.e. increase the limites in your
texmf.cnf, or just install a thing which uses TeX, for example LyX. It
seems, that default limits in texmf.cnf are suitable for old PC.

Between, you can try to build a less paging document, for example
RedBoot User's Guide (current version has about 187 pages).

cd /tmp && make -C <...>/ecos/packages/redboot/current/doc clean pdfa4

Sergei