Re: Procedure to release GPL code for eCos

Aditya Vaidya wrote:
> Well, unfortunately its only licensed under GPL; no dual license for
> sure. So is there any way that the community would accept such code?

Not in our own source base currently. Even if we did consider having
contributions like that, they would have to go into a separate repository
so that people didn't accidentally use GPL stuff without realising the licence.

> Even if it's not in the repository, say if we start a sourceforge
> project or something like that to keep it going?

Sure, eCos is an open project so you are welcome to do so. We can put a
link on our website if that helps.

> And would there be any licensing issues for releasing such code? Is GPL
> code even usable with eCos? Say I don't mind releasing all my code
> including that of the application, at least the GPL code could be useful
> for educational projects, if not commercial ones.

Sure, see my other mail.

Jifl

> Andrew Lunn wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 04:20:21PM +0530, Aditya Vaidya wrote:
>>
>>> So this would be the procedure to follow if we port some Linux code
>>> to  eCos, correct?
>>>

>> Upps. Sorry missed the GPL part.
>>
>> We cannot accept plain GPL code into the eCos repository. Is the code
>> only available under GPL? Some parts of the kernel is dual licensed,
>> eg under MIT or BSD. We might consider such code.
>>
>> Could you be more specific about what code we are talking about.
>>

>>> Also there was some talk about adding an option in the configtool to
>>> allow use of GPL code. Any further word on that?
>>>

>> Nope. There was talk about making a second tree for code which could
>> not be modified GPL, but it is just talk so far.
>>
>> Sorry for the confusion,
>>
>>       Andrew

 **  Visit us at ESC Silicon Valley <http://www.embedded.com/esc/sv>  **
 **  April 15-17 2008, Booth 3012, San Jose McEnery Convention Center **
------["Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere"]------       Opinions==mine