Single stepping ISRs in GDB

I'm trying to single step ISRs in GDB over a serial connection on SH. I wondered if anyone can tell me does this work correctly on other architectures?

What seems to happen on SH is that the system just locks up after the breakpoint instruction is executed. So I changed the HAL to use a separate stack for exceptions (ie not use the interrupt stack) - I can then break in an ISR and examine the state of the system. What I can't do is single-step as GDB seems to reenable interrupts that should be masked so the current ISR goes reentrant.