Re: Thoughts on how to get support for threads w/hardware debugger

Øyvind Harboe wrote:
I've been thinking a bit about how I could get support for threads
in a hardware debugger( qfThreadInfo, qsThreadInfo packages in GDB
server).

My thought on this would be to write a GDB server
wrapper that would run on the developer PC and would work with *any*
JTAG debugger, not only OpenOCD.

Basically this GDB wrapper server would present a GDB server to GDB
and talk to the hardware GDB server.

I was thinking about adding this to the Zylin Embedded CDT plugin, which
would allow me to write that in Java, reducing work involved. I already
have a tested GDB server in Java lying around.

Has anyone done any work on this? Thoughts?

This is pretty much how the multi-ICE interface works for the ARM. There is code that runs on the PC which talks to the ARM DLL that handles the hardware. It also requires some code/support in the eCos application which is executed on demand by the PC code when things like thread information needs to be returned. In this way, the PC end does not need to know anything about the structure or layout of the eCos data structures (threads, etc) - it just does a RPC into the board to get the information.

Some of this support is a little magic, but all the code is
in the public ARM tree, along with documentation on how it is
built and deployed.