Re: Adding checksum to elf file

On 05/06/07, Sergei Gavrikov <w3sg@softhome.net> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 01:49:36PM -0400, Christopher Cordahi wrote:
> Hello ecos
>
> I'd like to add some sort of checksum into the .elf files.
> Is there a standard way of doing this?
>
> Googling I see some mention of a .dynamic tag DT_CHECKSUM
> but not how to use it properly
> and a short discussion in
> http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2003-02/msg00242.html
> but it doesn't seem very standard.
>
> Any ideas?

It seems, it's more suitable to verify ELF using a parallel md5sum file
That is 128-bit! There are sources http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1321.txt.

Thanks, However I only want it to detect accidental file corruption, something that can be added to the file at file creation and can be easily verified by the program loader (redboot). At most I was thinking about implementing a 32 bit CRC algorithm and probably only a 16 bits. Maintaining and distributing only 1 file is much easier than 2 so I am hoping to add the CRC to the file in a standard way. If there is no such standard I'll have to resort to a method similar to that mentioned in the discussion.

--
Chris