Re: Problems with FAT and IDE

On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 19:54 +0100, Maurice Müller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i am trying to set up an eCos with an internal IDE harddisk (40GB) on a
> standard x86-PC-target. When running the fatfs1 test case, the details
> of the harddisk are shown, but the mounting fails with a return code of
> -1 (unknown error). I tried many configurations like using FAT16 instead
> of FAT32, but nothing worked. The MBR of the harddisk includes the grub
> boot loader, through which i start my applications. I also tried to run
> the test case via GDB (RedBoot) but this case doesn't work too. I wpuld
> be very thankful if somebody can tell me how to get my config working.
>
> Please help me. I spent a lot of time on this problem.
>
> Best regards
> Maurice

The IDE interface in eCos does work quite well.  But there are a couple
of items to look at.

- Do you have the current version of the IDE code because there was a
bug fix a few months ago concerning the reading and writing of a block
of data from the IDE drive?
- Is the hard drive partition that you are trying to read formatted as a
fat32 filesystem?

I have not used the eCos test software so I don't know if it is OK.  You
might want to insure that debugging output is enable for the drives and
file system.  Hopefully, that will give you more information about what
is happening.

Have a great day,
Don

--