RE: Managing eCos modifications

> From: Andy Jackson [mailto:andy@xylanta.com]
>
> My solution has been to make use of the feature that came to
> light earlier
> this year which allows multiple repositories to be used with the
> configuration tools (see email below). I believe that the CVS ecosconfig
> supports this and I have modified ConfigTool to provide similar
> functionality.
>
> I have a local repository which contains all our local packages, some of
> which are unique to us and others that are tweeked versions of
> the standard
> packages, all held under local version control. I then have a second
> repository which is my local snapshot of  the main CVS version which I
> update periodically as needed and try never to change.
>
> One of the nice things about this is that it is set so that the local
> repository takes precedence and so I can create a copy of a particular
> package, work on it in isolation yet easily return to the stock version,
> make diffs etc.
>
> It works for me, but may not suit everyone.

Thanks to you, and to Ed Grimberg. Are you saying that if I have a sparse
copy of the official repository on my machine, containing only those sources
I've modified, then ecosconfig will cause those sources to automagically
shadow the ones in the offical repository, on an individual file basis?

That looks like it's appropriate for minor tweaks, especially those that
would still be appropriate for the original hardware. The more I look at
this, though, I think that most of the changes I'm going to wind up having
to make involve creating a custom board support package that's very similar
to the off-the-shelf one (I'm using an ARM7 EB40A board), but with a
genuinely different configuration (different flash chip, added SRAM chips).
In this case, the changes really belong in a separate package. I'm asking
about that in a separate message.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco