Re: intel 82544 ethernet driver

Jacek Poplawski <jacek.poplawski@s3group.com> writes:

> The big problem is endianess. This driver contains macros like
> READMEM16, READMEM32, etc...
> They works wrong on my system (ixdp2801).
> I needed to implement my own functions to swap bytes.

I suspect that this is where your problems are. Perhaps some registers
need redefining in reverse order or something. This driver has
previously only ever been used on little-endian targets, so there may
be big-endian problems. I don't know whether the 8254x family has
support for flipping endianness, see whether it has an endian switch,
or maybe alternative register sets in different endiannesses.

> Maybe you could answer my more "high-level" question:
>
> BOOTP fails (it works in Linux), so I set IP to 128.0.0.25 in the
> function net_init() in the RedBoot source.
> Then I call following command:
>
> ping -n 1 -h 128.0.0.25
>
> My debugging output shows, that driver sends data with i82544_send()
> function.
> But it never receives anything.

If BOOTP doesn't work, then ping won't either. It is best to keep the
RedBoot configuration standard and work out why the BOOTP is not
working. Once that is fixed, the rest should just work.

You can configure RedBoot with a static IP address, but ping will
still require ARP to work, so disabling BOOTP just moves the problem
elsewhere.

--
Nick Garnett                                 eCos Kernel Architect
http://www.ecoscentric.com            The eCos and RedBoot experts