Interrupt or other trigger on serial connection?

Hi,

I have been asked to display a message to the serial console when
a serial connection is established. What methods are available to
me to know that a serial connection has been established, so I can
display this message. Is there also something to let me know that
the serial connection has been closed, so I can log out any
administration sessions that had been opened?

I a using an Adder II based card, if that changes anything?

Andre