Re: Configtool template for Olimex SAM7-P256 devboard

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 10:05:17AM +0300, George Ionescu wrote:
> Hello all ecos users,
>
> I've just ordered the Olimex SAM7-P256 devboard. While waiting for the
> boards to arrive, here's a simple question for you:
>
> And one more thing: is ecos an appropriate RTOS for the AT91SAM7S256?
> Considering I only need threading and JFFS2 (no RedBoot for now), what is
> the minimal image size I could obtain?

64K ram is not much. gzip is not going to work, so you will not be
able to use this form of compression with JFFS2. You will need to
experiment and see what works and what does not. If you want lots of
threads you will have to take care of correctly sizing the stack. The
application stacks, the interrupt stacks and the idle stack tend to be
the big users of RAM.

> And another stupid question (Although someone said there are no stupid
> questions, only stupid answers). Since I'm just beginning embedded
> development, I don't really know the answer so: where is the RTOS's image
> going to be stored? In Flash or SRAM?

The SAM7 is pritty much designed to run from FLASH. You don't have
much RAM to be able to hold both the code and the data in RAM.

     Andrew