ARM HAL Problems

I'm working on an ARM9 HAL (ARM940T core, gcc 3.4.3), and am having problems
with the code crashing pseudo randomly.  The frustrating part is that this
was working great last week.  This week, I can not get it to work at all.  I
am loading the code (RAM startup) onto the target board using a JTAG
emulator.  It either crashes on an ASSERT or dies with a data abort or
prefetch abort.  After a couple of days of fruitless debugging, the best I
can determine is that the CPU registers are getting corrupted by the RTC
interrupt, causing the code to run off into the weeds in random ways.  I
can't figure out how (if) this is happening.  I'm using only IRQ (no FIQ)
interrupts to avoid nesting problems.   Any helpful debugging tips?

Thanks.
Jay