Nonsynth! ecos to glibc linux Adaptor.

Ok, our code compiles and links and runs and runs unit tests on ecos on
an embedded sparc-a-like leon and ecos synth on i386 hosted on linux.

The only trouble is ecos synth is really good for debugging ecos, but
fairly limiting for debugging our code.

When we started development the fact that synth was eCos was a very very
Good Thing.

But now as the proportion of the code in the system shifts from ecos
with a smattering of Our Stuff, to Mostly Our stuff with Ecos way down
there somewhere... The cost benefit ratio for unit testing on eCos synth
vs unit testing on Vanilla Linux shifts.

There are just too many additional tools that just work really much
better in the vanilla Linux environment than in the hermetically sealed
very narrow interfaces statically linked eCos synth environment. eg.
Valgrind, expect, mudflap,gui front ends,ltrace,strace,gcov,gprof...

So now I'm thinking, I could easily copy&paste the kapi.h header file and write a very thin adaptor from the ecos kernel calls to linux glibc...

ie. Our unit tests would then be vanilla linux glibc processes.

Question to this group:

Does anyone already have such an Adaptor?

PO Box 1645 Christchurch                Email : john.carter@tait.co.nz
New Zealand

Carter's Clarification of Murphy's Law.