Re: running ecos 2.0 on Excalibur

Fernando Herrera wrote:

More news about this issue,

Finally I got loading and running with the arm-elf-gdb non graphical
program of redhat tools, the hello.elf application compiled with quartus
tools (thus, with gnupro tools). The tricky point is to make the next sequence:

arm-elf-gdb hello.elf

(gdb) target remote localhost:9999

then it automatically attach and ...download the application!
since it appears parts of the source code where a break point
is automatically put (main.c:76) instead of beginning of main.

Then i only do a:

(gdb) cont

to see how it runs.

If I put breakpoints it does not catch them, but i suppose that
is because there is no correpondence between the symbol table
generated by gcc of gnupro tools and this gdb provided by redhat.
I think that would explain why stops at main.c:76 instead of at
main.c:26 (begining of main).

This sequence contrasts with what i did before. That "wrong" sequence was:

$arm-elf-gdb

(gdb) target remote localhost:9999
Then i had to load the application and run it

(gdb) load hello.elf
(gdb) cont

But this does not work!! I cann understand that the symbol table could not be
charged in this way, but, why the application did not run?

Somebody can shed some light here?

Now i will try to generate the application with the gnu tools, instead with the
gnupro tools.

Warwick, you mentioned that you load the application on 0x40000....
I saw that the application compiled with quartus maps .text section
in 0x8000h ,... maybe this helps.

regards again!....

nando

Fernando Herrera wrote:

I give some data that maybe can be interesting in this issue.
I saw that gnu tools i downloaded are the 3.2.1  version, while
the gnupro provided by altera are 2.96.-arm9-020528, in deed
older version.

I can also say that i sucessfully compiled and ran the hello example
(which also makes a leds scrolling) provided in the getting_started folder
of the examples CD provided by altera. I also can run the gdbstub and
connect the arm-elf-gdb of the gnupro tools (it is indeed a graphical insight
application) and load and debug the hello.elf file.

However, if i try that with the arm-elf-gdb of the gnutools downloaded
from redhat (which is not graphic) and i can download the application,
however i cannot put breakpoints (it says that no symbol table is loaded)
and if a made a cont or run, the examples does not run properly.

It seems that there is no compatibility between the cross tool chains and
that only gnupro chain is adapted to excalibur platform... that it is because
i was trying to build a configuration with gnupro tools...

regards,
nando

Fernando Herrera
Microelectronics Engineering Group
E.T.S.I.Industriales y Telecom. TEISA Dpt.
University of Cantabria
Avda. Los Castros s/n, 39005
Santander, Spain
  fherrera@teisa.unican.es