And the answer is ...

So the answer on my transmit problem was that in my creation of the flag values for the various registers I didn't mark the transmit CRC flag as CRC "disable". So in the driver I was setting it with the other bits (like complete packet). That had the effect of not generating the CRC at the end of the packet and nobody accepted them as valid packets ;-).

With that fixed I can now ping from redboot out, and from outside redboot in.

I did notice in the course of this development that I created a redboot image that was "too big" for GRUB to boot. (seems to be in the neighborhood of 86K or something like that). Its a weird thing for grub to complain about when it has 256MB to play with ;-).

--Chuck