Hmm, well partial success anyway

So I can configure Redboot to use the Rhine ethernet device and get all the source to build into a loadable elf image. My simple test was to ping my box after it had booted (works) but there was a long pause when it was trying BOOTP (didn't work).

So I'll dig into debugging this but here are the symptoms, call out if they are familiar and of course if you've actually used the Rhine ethernet driver (the suspect code here) that would be helpful too.

System boots, hangs at the "Waiting for BOOTP" message. tcpdump(8) shows my DHCP server is responding but nothing at the target machine. Then it gives up and uses the default address (which is pre-programmed to be a reasonable one).

Now I can ping the target from my development system, but I cannot telnet to it.
And once the target system tries to do anything on the network (I tried to ping from the target to my development system) that fails and then it won't respond to ping at all.

Basically the network stack is getting hosed up. But redboot is running so I'm generating map files so that I can use redboot to poke around, thoughts on what I should look at first?

Juat for grins and giggles I put an Intel board in there (can't close the case) and a redboot configured for that NIC and it works fine, so I'm REALLY suspicious of the Rhine networking code. Hopefully its something really trivial like an uninitialized pointer or something.

Any thoughts on bringing up a new network driver? Are the a set of small tests I can start with and work up to the finished deal?

--Chuck