This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the eCos project.
Redboot/eCos memory usage
- From: "R S" <rusingh at ecs dot umass dot edu>
- To: <ecos-discuss at ecos dot sourceware dot org>
- Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 08:20:32 -0000
- Subject: [ECOS] Redboot/eCos memory usage
Confused with eCos/Redboot memory layout structure.
1. How can I find how much available memory my target has for eCos applications.
My target.ld is as below:
vrom : ORIGIN = 0x00000000, LENGTH = 0x00001000
ram : ORIGIN = 0xC0000000, LENGTH = 0x08000000
2. How much of the ram is used by redboot? Below is the message I get on
RedBoot(tm) bootstrap and debug environment [ROM]
Non-certified release, version 2.00 - built 11:55:39, May 15 2002
Platform: BRH (XScale)
Copyright (C) 2000, 2001, 2002, Red Hat, Inc.
RAM: 0xc0000000-0xc8000000, 0xc00171e8-0xc7fd1000 available
FLASH: 0x00000000 - 0x00400000, 32 blocks of 0x00020000 bytes each.
How is it that the two address ranges overlap??
primarily, what I intend to do is reduce my heap size and use the available
memory to create another memory section. In my application, I used
mallinfo.arenasize to find initial heap size. It reported over 133MB size??
That appears really huge to me. Is this available for use entirely by eCos
application or does Redboot uses it too??
Thanks in advance
Before posting, please read the FAQ: http://ecos.sourceware.org/fom/ecos
and search the list archive: http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-discuss