Re: ZLIB: using gzip decompression in combination with libpng

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 04:43:17PM +0100, stephane.deltour@i4surf.net wrote:

> Libpng uses inflateInit/deflateInit. So it will rely on the default
> windowBits parameter. Libpng doesn't seem to work when MAX_WBITS is
> defined to 15+16.  To decompress gzip data, I use inflateInit2 with
> the windowBits set to 15+16. I don't use gzopen because I don't
> have/use a file system. The data I need to decompress is located in
> memory.

You probably want to take a look at gzopen and see how it works. You
can then see how to stip the gzip header off your data and call
inflateInit2() etc.

> It seems indeed that the CYGSEM_COMPRESS_ZLIB_DEFLATE_MAKES_GZIP is
> not ideal.

No. I think we need to add an eCos function gzuncompress() which
correctly handles the gzip header and it would be nice to check the
default of CYGSEM_COMPRESS_ZLIB_DEFLATE_MAKES_GZIP to zero, but i
suspect that will break too many systems.

        Andrew