memory maps, linker control files, etc.

This is another newbie question, I'm afraid. As a veteran embedded systems
programmer, I am used to carefully crafting linker control files in order to
control the memory layout of programs, monitors, and other loadable
entities. I am having a hard time find the information I need to understand
how to do this within the ECOS environment.

Massa's book talks about using the configtool, but then mentions that only
older config tools support a memory layout tool. And besides, I've learned
that I can't rely on the configtool. Elsewhere in the ECOS docs, I found a
page or two talking about .ldi files, but it seems to indicate that these
control files only need to change when your hardware changes. And the .ldi
files I've found ominously tell me that they are generated and that I should
not edit them. I haven't found anything anywhere that discusses the
mechanisms ECOS uses to generate the linker control files, or how I can
modify the process to suit my needs if I have to.

This lack of information stands in the way of my understand basic things
like how Redboot and an ECOS application can both use system memory without
stepping on each other - an issue that I've handled manually in other
situations.

Even figuring out how to generate a linker map file involved poring through
the giant man page for arm-elf-gcc.

Is there a good source of information for this subject?

Thanks!

- Andy