Re: Redboot Ethernet with AC101L PHY

Andrew McKay wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I working on getting RedBoot up and running on a EP9301/EP9302. I have the EDB9302 development kit from Cirrus Logic, and have successfully loaded RedBoot on it. However we have designed our own board and seem to be having difficulties with the ethernet in RedBoot. The only difference between our board and the development kit is that we used a AC101L external Phy from Altima (Broadcom), and the development kit uses a CS8952 external Phy from Cirrius Logic. I have been through the ethernet driver for the EP93XX family and I don't see any changes required in the code to use the AC101L Phy.
Currently the board only negotiates a link with some hubs, not all. Even after negotiating a link with a hub, the communications over ethernet is painfully slow, and eventually just dies.

I was wondering if anyone has some experience using this Phy with the EP93xx family or any other ARM based system? Did you have to make any changes to the driver to use a different Phy.

We are currently chasing any hardware problems with the board that we can find.

Thanks for your help,

Andrew McKay
Iders Incorporated
100-137 Innovation Drive
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada
R3T 6B6

ph: 204 779 5400 x228
fax: 204 779 5444

In case anyone was interested, we have fixed this problem. Everything was fine with drivers for the EP93xx family. We had a hardware problem associated with our Broadcom Phy part. The 25MHz clock was not running nice enough. A couple of changes to the capacitors on the circuit and Ethernet was up and running fine.

Andrew McKay