Re: Do the prebuilt toolchains include newlib?

    Alan> I'm new to eCos, and was glad to see that running the
    Alan> installation tool provided me with a pre-built cross
    Alan> toolchain for my target (arm-elf). I verified I got the
    Alan> tools, but what about newlib? I can't seem to find basic
    Alan> stuff, like libc. The notes for building your own toolchain
    Alan> (http://ecos.sourceware.org/build-toolchain.html) indicate
    Alan> newlib gets built when gcc gets built, which makes me wonder
    Alan> what the pre-built tools provided.

    Alan> The other reason I'm looking for newlib is I have to do some
    Alan> porting there, too. I've read the newlib documentation, and
    Alan> anticipiate having to port newlib to deal with things like
    Alan> interfacing to my console device. But where's the source? Of
    Alan> course, I can download newlib sources myself, but it seems
    Alan> I'd be essentially building newlib from scratch. This leads
    Alan> me back to my original question: Do the pre-built toolchains
    Alan> "come with" newlib?

No. Newlib is not needed for eCos because that has its own C library.
To keep down the size of the downloads newlib has been removed from
the toolchain builds. If you need newlib then you'll have to rebuild
it yourself. Following the build-toolchain.html instructions will give
you a full toolchain build, including newlib.

Bart

--
Bart Veer                       eCos Configuration Architect