Re: Status of eCos copyright assignments to the FSF?

On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 02:08:50PM +0100, Wouter Cloetens wrote:
> More than a year has passed since this announcement:
> http://ecos.sourceware.org/ml/ecos-announce/2003/msg00008.html.
>
> Is there any progress? We have a list of contributions we would like to
> make, but assigning copyright to eCosCentric is a sensitive issue. While
> we would prefer a model without copyright assignment (e.g. I just took
> a look at my Apache Software Foundation Contributor Licence Agreement,
> and this model seems preferable to me; legal validity and advantages of a
> copyright assignment can be questioned), we would be more inclined to
> 1. assign copyright to the FSF instead of eCosCentric, and
> 2. explicitly limit the scope of the assignment to only that code that we
> want to specifically contribute, rather than signing a blanket
> assignment.

We are still waiting for RedHat to make good on their promise to
assign there parts of eCos to the FSF. It is nearly a year since they
made their press release about doing this.....

Once RedHat do finally do the transfer i expect FSF will then start
accepting assignments for eCos. Your second request should be no
problem. The original RHEPL license was written to be specific to one
contribution, not a blanked assignment. We found that this was
inconvenient for people who made frequent contributions, so the
wording was changed to make it blanket. Im sure we can produce a none
blanket version of the FSF assignment when the time comes.

        Andrew