Re: Can someone fix this mailing list?

Gary Thomas wrote:
On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 21:20, Paul D. DeRocco wrote:

I'm getting tired of hitting Reply, and finding that my message only goes to
the person who sent the message I'm replying to, and then having to resend
the message. (Or worse, never noticing that that's what happened.) Of the
two dozen or so lists I'm on, this is the only one that doesn't insert a
Reply-To address in the header, pointing to the list server. If Yahoo can
get this right, you'd think that sourceware.org could manage it.

Sorry, but no.  We've been around this topic before and the consensus
is that automatic reply-to the list address causes much more pain than
having to hit "reply to all".

IIRC the main reason for this was all the broken out-of-the-office style autoresponders spamming the list, as well as delivery failures.

However, list software has come along quite a way since then so surely e.s.o. could be updated? I know how easy it is to hit reply-to rather than reply-all.

For a list that strongly encourages people to reply to the list rather than responders directly, the current setup is counter-productive in this respect. It seems only sensible to use the reply-to fields. At the very least this will get rid of all the accidental direct email responses that result in a "please reply to the list..." followup to the list, and will stop duplicates if you happen to be involved in a thread. (Yes, I use procmail to strip duplicates, but not everyone uses a decent OS or mailer).

-- Alex