debugging with gdb

I have an A&MViper powerpc860 board up and running. I am currently investigating debugging options. The board has redboot on it with gdb stubs.

If I configure ecos not to have a network stack then I can connect to the board with gdb over the network and download, run and debug my test app. If I build ecos with network support it doesn't work as when the code is run it initialises the network which obviously resets the connection to gdb.

Is there a way to prevent this from happening? I assume not. I could presumably do the same but use the serial port although I don't want to do it as it will be slow and I need the serial port for other things.

So I was looking at debugging with a BDM. There don't sem to be many docs on doing this, does anyone know of any good resources? What BDM device would anyone recommend and are there any reference gdbinit scripts for setting up powerpc/860?

Many thanks,

Will Wagner