Re: Saving application state

I am targeting a uniprocessor system. The ecos is operating on intel 80200
xscale processor ADI board. I intend to load the application and OS image and
in eCos there is no separation b/w OS image and application. what you load is OS+your application. hope you actually mean that.

keep saving application state at regular intervals. Initially I do not indend
saving each snapshot separately on some persistent storage?

to shut down the system, the kernel and application continue execution however
at a some arbitarary time I want the application to go back to the saved state.
you mean your application keeps on running and at some point you want to choose to go back to one of the saved states? how do you intend to indicate that you want to load previously saved state of application?

are you doing something to do with debugging the application? saving the entire application state at definite/user-controlled checkpoints and then roll back to previous checkpoint at some time?

So i am interested in knowing the address space of entire application. Where
are dynamic objects saved.
need for dynamic objects is not understood.

still not clear with your problem, loads of questions as you see.
based on whatever little information from you, one crude solution could be (if nothing else matters to you) - do a heavy work in dsr (signalling to save the application state via some external interrupt) - that knows about locations and sizes of application threads stacks, where various data memory segments start and end and then dump them. there are issues even in this simple looking thing.

sandeep