Re: ARP Support in eCos Applications

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 12:38:14PM +0800, Manoj Abraham wrote:

> hello,

> We are trying to compile an application code having ARP related
> system calls by replacing VxWorks calls by equivalent eCos calls
> .But we didnt find any equivalent eCos system calls for arpAdd()add
> an entry to arp table and mRouteAdd(). Though there is
> etharp_ip_input() in packages/net/src/netif/etharp.c for ARP
> updation, that support is not provided when we build the eCos image
> for 'all packages'. That build includes FreeBSD suport rather than
> LWIP. When we tried to build eCos image with LWIP package added and
> FreeBSD packege unloaded,the build will stop with so many
> redefinition and undeclared warnings.Can anyone help me out to track
> this problem?Which all packages we need to include for arp support
> while building eCos image with configuartion tool?

OK. A few issues here. If you want to use the FreeBSD stack its better
to use the net template. If you want to use the LWIP stack use the
lwip_eth or lwip_ppp template.

The FreeBSD stack equivelent to arpAdd() is ioctl(). The equivelent to
mRouteAdd() is also ioctl(). Get a good block on BSD
networking. Stevens Unix Network Programming Volume 1 would be a good
choice.

For the lwip stack i expect it also uses ioctl calls, but i don't now,
i've never programmed it.

As for your undefined symbols, if you read this list, you will of read
that its a bad idea to change templates in an existing directory. Try
starting in an empty directory.

        Andrew