Re: Please help!

Tuong Nguyen Manh wrote:
Dear Sir/Madam,
I am develop a USB project which uses ARM as MCU, I intend to load
operation system into the board. I am so confused about Linux RedHat and
eCos, could you please tell me the aim of using each one?? Can I use
RedHat for my development? If the answer is yes so which RedHat version
I should use??

Linux is big. Very big. eCos is smaller and more efficient. Smaller than the uClinux variant too. Linux has been ported to more hardware, eCos has been ported to many, including ARM. Linux is not real-time, eCos is. eCos was designed from the start for the embedded space; linux wasn't, and frequently it shows. eCos can run on smaller hardware that Linux simply can't. eCos has arguably a more favourable software license when it comes to extending the kernel. There are more benefits to eCos over Linux, but I'll stop there.

However one thing that may make a difference for you: eCos only has client-side USB, i.e. it can act as a peripheral that is plugged into a host. Linux has a USB host stack which means it can have peripherals plugged into it, i.e. like a PC. However most embedded folks (admittedly not all, but most) only want USB for client-side anyway, so you may find eCos fits your needs fine.