From: Gary Thomas [mailto:gary@mlbassoc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 4:24 PM
To: Nicolas Brouard
Cc: ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: [ECOS] PowerPC, software emulation exception

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 14:17, Nicolas Brouard wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm doing a port of redboot for a board with a powerPC MPC860.
> When I execute redboot in RAM, I have a software emulation exception
> (0x01000) on the line 291 of
packages/hal/powerpc/arch/current/src/vector.S
> : mtspr TBL_W,r3 (TBL_W=284)
> With my debugger (gdb), I see this instruction: [mttbl r3] instead of
[mtspr
> TBL_W,r3] (this is correct) and I have the following message:
> 	Program received signal SIGSTOP, Stopped (signal)

The instructions are the same - mttbl is just shorthand.

On the 860 and other embedded boards, those registers can be locked.
You say that you are porting RedBoot - what's currently running on the
board (from reset)?  It may have locked the time base registers which
could cause the error.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates