RE: eCos on 80186?

> From: osrookie
>
> I've seen a couple of messages in the archives about
> people wanting to run eCos on a 16-bit Intel
> 80186-based processor, but they weren't very recent.
> Do any of you know of any efforts to get this to work?
>  Our company is very interested in doing this, but we
> don't have the resources and know-how to pull it off
> in a reasonable timeline.
>
> I've seen that eCos relies heavily on gcc, which is
> strictly a 32-bit compiler.  The options were to
> either port gcc to 16-bit or to port eCos to a
> different 16-bit compiler.  Could any experts out
> there give a ballpark estimate of what it would take
> to get either of these done?  Are there other easier
> options?
>
> I'm guessing that porting eCos to a different compiler
> would be the easier route - any open-source 16-bit
> compilers out there that you recommend?

I don't know any open-source ones. However, Borland (or whatever their name
is now) had a very configurable compiler that worked better on 16-bit, in my
opinion, than Microsoft's. If you can find an old copy of Borland C++
Builder or earlier, you could see what happens when you try to feed some
eCos code through it. My guess is that you'll have the biggest headaches
with the makefiles, rather than the C.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco