From: Nick Garnett [mailto:nickg@ecoscentric.com]
Sent: Monday, May 24, 2004 2:43 PM
To: atonizzo@lycos.com
Cc: ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: [ECOS] Error on Cyg_Counter::add_alarm

"Anthony Tonizzo" <atonizzo@lycos.com> writes:

> I can estimate what _my_own_ stack requirements are, but
> how much more do I have to plan for the "ecos" stuff? When
> I ran these tasks I assumed that 8K were going to suffice,
> but evidently that was not the case. Now, bitten once, I
> jacked up the size to 32K, but that is probably an overkill,
> and I can get away with it because my system has several
> megabytes of memory.

The eCos HALs define the values CYGNUM_HAL_STACK_SIZE_MINIMUM and
CYGNUM_HAL_STACK_SIZE_TYPICAL for defining stack sizes. The MINIMUM
value is essentially the OS overhead plus a little to allow a simple
thread to run. The TYPICAL value provides enough space for several
call levels and more local variables -- it is mostly used by the test
programs to define stacks. Both these values tend to be somewhat
generous, but MINIMUM tends to be around 1k while TYPICAL tends to be
around 2k.

Your 8k stack ought to be more than adeqate, unless you have turned
off the interrupt stack and have some very deep interrupt nesting. It
is probably worth investigating exactly what is causing so much stack
to be used.

If you enable assertions (always a good idea during development) you
will also enable stack checking. Rerunning with the 8k stacks ought to
provoke an error. With a breakpoint in cyg_assert_fail() you ought to
then be able to do a backtrace and see what is being called.