Re: Error on Cyg_Counter::add_alarm

Matt:

>I had some problems with alarms several months ago in
>the FreeBSD stack, but I can't remember the details.

Fortunately it turns out to have been a very simple
mistake. The stack space allocated for the process was
too small, and when the second task kicked in, it was
probably overwriting the stack of the first. I still wonder
how I got away with this for so long, but once it was
increased to a much bigger size all issues disappeared.

Which brings up an interesting subject, which I am sure
can be of interest to many, especially those working in
somewhat "restricted spaces":

How do you estimate the amount of stack space needed for
a given task?

I can estimate what _my_own_ stack requirements are, but
how much more do I have to plan for the "ecos" stuff? When
I ran these tasks I assumed that 8K were going to suffice,
but evidently that was not the case. Now, bitten once, I
jacked up the size to 32K, but that is probably an overkill,
and I can get away with it because my system has several
megabytes of memory.

But besides the fact that having a lot of memory doesn't
mean that you have to throw it away, a lot of folks out
there do not have this luxury and have to make much more
reasoned assessments.

Is there a rule of thumb that the "gurus" out there use?

Thanks
Tony