Question on Static vs. Dynamic IP om eCos

Hi:

I have a basic question on static vs. dynamic ip in
eCOS.

I have a couple of applications (the GoAhead web server
and Gary Thomas' server_test.c file) that seems to work
when I have a dynamic IP address, but they refuse to
work if I recompile the eCos kernel to assign a static
IP.

In both cases I can ping the board running eCOS, so I
am reasonably sure that the image is running correctly,
yet it is only with dynamic IP that I can run the stuff
that I need.

I use the "connection sharing" under WinXP to assign
dynamic IP addresses, and use Mozilla for both the
GoAhead as well as a convenient "packet generator" to
test Gary's server example.

Is there anybody out there that can explain me why the
same code works in one way and not the other?

Thansk
Tony