Several unrelated questions

Another developer has started helping me with my porting. He brought up several good questions for which I have no answers.

1. Why isn't there a Kernel API to the binary semaphore?
2. According to the cdl, the value CYGNUM_KERNEL_THREADS_DATA_ALL is supposed to be calculated. But I can't seem to find a formula for it anywhere. And if I modify thread.cdl to add another "fixed" spot, the value in CYGNUM_KERNEL_THREADS_DATA_ALL does not change. Is it actually supposed to be user entered?
3. What is the basic consol command to get gdb to download a program over ethernet to the target board? (We can download and run fine using insight, but insight tends to crash a lot under our installation of cygwin+eCosCentric pre-built binaries.)
4. Why does cyg_thread_get_info require an id be passed to it? The handle should be sufficient to "find" the data. Looking at the source, it appears to only be used for a sanity check.
5. When porting a PCI driver from Linux to eCos, can we basically ignore the ioremap functions? And should we use read/write_config_data instructions, or HAL_READ_XXX and HAL_WRITE_XXX? The sample Linux driver uses all readl and writel instructions (using the ioremap'd address).

Thanks
David Brennan