Questions on debugging

I have some questions about RT debugging
What's exactly tracing ?
What's exactly asserts ?
I've played a bit with these options in the infra packages but I'm looking
for documentation on how to get the maximum on thses functions. The ecos doc
is not very complete on all the debugging techniques and possibilities.
Thanks a lot in advance.