Re: twothread example in redboot.

On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 09:35, Jani Monoses wrote:
>  > You should also be aware that in a RedBoot configuration the various
> > devices will usually run in polled mode rather than interrupt-driven
> > mode, while multi-threading (especially timeslicing) implies use of
> > interrupts. There could be quite a few problems in this area.
>
> Is the fact that RedBoot runs in polling mode the only reason it uses
> serial minidrivers different from the interrupt driven ones in
> io/serial? For instance having the interrupt driven serial for at91 work
> with redboot making downloads work at >38400 would be really nice.

The real reason for using simple drivers is to keep it simple -
diagnostic I/O should be very simple to implement so that it may
be used early on, both in the development cycle and during system
initialization.

Using interrupts with RedBoot would (IMNSHO) overly complicate things.

--
Gary Thomas <gary@mlbassoc.com>
MLB Associates