Re: PPP handling of unknown CI configuration requests

On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 13:22, Nick Garnett wrote:
> Øyvind Harboe <oyvind.harboe@zylin.com> writes:
>
> > I'm trying to get PPP to work against Windows and although I know very
> > little about PPP, I get the impression from glossing over the PPP RFC
> > that unknown CI configuration requests should be silently ignored.
>
> I'm not sure about that. RFC1661 says:

I'd have to agree when I read it again.

I am in over my head trying to debug why this doesn't work with a the
Windows incoming connections PPP server, hence jumping to conclusions.

Is this feedback helpful or just frustrating? :-)

I presume Windows wants support for CI_CALLBACK. I'm not using it, so
why Windows asks for it, I don't know.

I didn't find any CI_XXX for 17,19,23 so I don't know what they mean.

> 5.4 Configure-Reject
>
>     Description
>
>     If some Configuration Options received in a Configure-Request are
>     not recognizable or are not acceptable for negotiation (as
>     configured by a network administrator), then the implementation
>     MUST transmit a Configure-Reject. The Options field is filled with
>     only the unacceptable Configuration Options from the
>     Configure-Request. All recognizable and negotiable Configuration
>     Options are filtered out of the Configure-Reject, but otherwise
>     the Configuration Options MUST NOT be reordered or modified in any
>     way.
>

> > My debug sessions indicate that the link isn't quite as quickly shut
> > down at least.
>
> I don't see any serious delays in shutdown. It does take a couple of
> seconds however.

Bad wording from me.

Without the changes in the last message, the link was immediately
terminated by the Windows PPP server.

I'm not quite sure where to go from here.

--

Øyvind Harboe
http://www.zylin.com