string constant byte ordering

I met a problem with string constant byte ordering
when I am porting redboot to a net silicon(arm) board.

When I load the image, all the string constants are
put in little endian format in memory, for example,
 A string is defined as char str[] = ?ABCD?, when I
examine the memory, from the lower address it is
?DCBA?, however, if I look at objdump of the code, it
is ABCD, If I do ?p str? in GDB then it shows ?ABCD?,
I change the definition in cyg/hal/basetypes.h, but it
doesn?t seem to have effects.
The code is running. There is no obvious anomaly other
than this. I am using JEENI and gdb. I am suspecting
it is a gdb/JEENI loading issue. But I have no idea
where I should start with.

Could some one give me some idea? I really appreciate
the help.

Thanks

Zhao