Re: SLIP and the eCos net package

Øyvind Harboe <oyvind.harboe@zylin.com> writes:

> > The testing failure was simply that the wrong serial port was being
> > used. PPP needs hardware flow control to work efficiently, and a port
> > without the necessary connections was being used.
>
> Ouch!
>
> The hardware I'm working with does not have HW flow control.
>
> Is this a trainwrecker?

Nope. You can still use software flow control: XON/XOFF. It's just not
quite as efficient since it relies on in-band signalling on the serial
data stream and is therefore subject to things like interrupt latency
and FIFO depths that RTS/CTS is not.

The testing problem was simply that we were testing a system
configured to use RTS/CTS on hardware that didn't support it. So it
all just ground to a halt waiting for a CTS that never came. If we had
configured for XON/XOFF, it would have all worked perfectly.