Re: SLIP and the eCos net package

Alex Schuilenburg <alexs@ecoscentric.com> writes:

> Andrew Lunn wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 03:49:41PM +0200, ?yvind Harboe wrote:
> >
> >>Is there a fundamental reason why SLIP is not supported by the eCos net
> >> package?
> > eCosCentric has a PPP implementation. SLIP seems to be mostly dead
> > with PPP taking its place. There is also another PPP implementation,
> > look in the mail
> > archives. It did not make it into anoncvs because it appeared at the
> > time that eCosCentric code would get into anoncvs relatively
> > quickly. But that didn't happen at the time. I don't know what there
> > plans are now. Maybe Alex can comment.
>
> We had planned to contribute our eCosPro PPP stack by the end of last
> month but it failed release testing against anoncvs.  Hence it was
> passed back to Nick (who did the port).  The additional delay was
> because Nick was in the US giving an eCos course at ESCW so did not
> have time to investigate the problems.

The testing failure was simply that the wrong serial port was being
used. PPP needs hardware flow control to work efficiently, and a port
without the necessary connections was being used.

> Nick is now responsible for testing, fixing problems found so it
> should appear in anoncvs any day now.

That day is actually today, I was in the process of doing it when this
message came in. Keep an eye on the repository.