Re: ROMRAM stand-alone application

Andrew Lunn <andrew@lunn.ch> writes:

> > > I don't think it's ever worked for me (before the changes that I'm
> > > hopefully about to post).  I'm trying to access the CVS server, and
> > > I can't seem to get a response.  Is it working at the moment?
> >
> > The ROMRAM RedBoot fell by the wayside. With so little RAM available
> > on these boards it was felt that it was a waste of resource. Hence the
> > ROMRAM .ldi files have suffered a little bitrot.
>
> We have two options. Fix the bitrot so that ROMRAM RedBoot works
> again, or change the ROMRAM so that it works for standalone
> applications.
>
> Nick says that ROMRAM redboot makes little sense, so i would suggest
> the second option. Is everybody happy with that?

I would vote for making it work for standalone apps only. To make
ROMRAM Redboot work would mean moving the load point for RAM apps up
in memory for both RAM and ROMRAM RedBoots. This would waste RAM in
the ROM RedBoot case, and would give RAM apps less room in both cases.

Of course if we were clever, we could put in some CDL to make it
impossible to configure ROMRAM RedBoots.