Can someone confirm or deny ...

So when I start i386-elf-gdb from the command line and include the name of the binary I'm going to load, then I try the load <binary name> I get the "gdb internal error" coredump. If I start gdb without a binary on the command line, and then use load <binary-name> I don't get the coredump, but I don't get symbols either. (yes its compiled -g, no its not stripped)

I'm trying to ascertain where the problem lies and I've got too many variables to test against. Most importantly I don't have a Linux box to try it with. I'll see if I can install the Cygwin stuff on a Windoze box. So far variables I have come up with:
gdb version incompatiblity
I'm using gdb 6.0 and gcc 3.3.1
include/library/gnu incompatibility
The "native" gcc toolchain on FreeBSD 4-STABLE is 2.95
OS Incompatability
I use FreeBSD, can test against Windows but not Linux
General Cluelessness
Hard to guard against :-) I'm reading everything I can
get my hands on.

I think I'll try gdb 5.x next.

--Chuck